Quick Couplings – different materials for different environments
Quick couplings are used in a variety of sectors, from agriculture to oil and gas extraction, and earth moving to road transportation, and even so far as to reach a large range of industrial applications, including the chemical and food sectors.
The design and construction of quick couplings must, therefore, take into consideration a wide variety of factors and operating conditions in order to guarantee high levels of quality and safety over the complete product line.
This is why Stucchi has been developing cutting-edge solutions for almost 60 years, fully satisfying the requirements and standards in all sectors in which quick couplings are fundamental components for the daily operations and success of a company. The high quality of Stucchi components improves performance and prevents accidents that may possibly lead to economic, human or environmental harm.
One of the crucial aspects in the manufacture of quick couplings is an assessment of their exposure to corrosion. This incremental damage to the component varies according to the environment of application, ranging from those in which the damage occurs very slowly to those in which the process is particularly aggressive and rapid.
Some general cases can be identified:
- Low corrosion: there are no particular environmental conditions and hydraulic fluids are used which, if kept free of contamination, do not provoke damage to circuits;
- Medium corrosion: related to the fluid used, as for example in the case of cooling systems that use water-based solutions;
- High corrosion: in these conditions, quick couplings must withstand a hostile environment, as in the case of off-shore oil platforms.
Three materials are mainly used in the manufacture of quick couplings to respond to meet these different conditions:
- Carbon steel: this is the most widely used metal in quick couplings. It provides a good balance between technical and commercial characteristics, and excels in low-corrosion applications;
- Brass: easy to work and has good resistance to medium-level corrosive fluids.
- Stainless steel: this material is widespread in everyday life, but in the field of quick couplings it is mainly used in high corrosion applications. It is extremely resistant and durable, making it the top choice for shipbuilding and offshore platforms sectors.
To enhance the characteristics of these materials, Stucchi also provides protective treatments including:
- Chrome 3: applied to carbon steel, this is the most common form of treatment. This is a surface galvanising treatment using zinc and chromium, which significantly increases resistance to corrosion;
- ZincNickel: an alternative to Chrome 3, this is a surface galvanising treatment using a special zinc alloy that improves resistance to corrosion;
- QPQ: heat treatment that combines surface hardness of the couplings and good resistance to corrosion.
These materials and treatments involved in the manufacture of quick couplings is the result of continual research and development carried out by Stucchi to guarantee the quality of the final product. find out more by contacting us.